62.3K views
2.0

Let me start out by saying that I was inspired to join The Camp's 6-week challenge because I was impressed the results of some of my friends on Facebook who successfully completed the challenge. Although I am pleased with my weight lost and fitness goals after doing the challenge, I was not successful according the terms of their contract. I decided to post this review to explain how that happened and why I attribute my failing the challenge to unethical and unprofessional business practices. This post is not intended to spew any hate or negativity, but only to give an honest report from my personal experience. Hopefully, it will benefit anyone considering joining so that a decision can be made with both eyes opened.

The old adage goes, "If it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is." I totally expected that as with anything that is free, there would be a catch. So, when first I inquired about the 6-week challenge, I knew that there would be more required than just losing 20 or more lbs. As stated in prior reviews, there are several terms you must follow in order for the program to be free...You must put down a $497 deposit, lose 20 or more lbs by the end of the 6-week challenge, check-in a minimum of 30 times on Facebook (their free advertisement), work out 30 or more times in 42 days, change your Facebook profile pic to their logo for the entire duration of the challenge (again, free advertisement), abide by all the terms of the contract indicating you will "follow the *** instructions" (FTDI) meal plan with an EMPHASIS on remaining positive (negativity will not be tolerated and would cause you to forfeit your deposit). ADDITIONALLY, it was not simply losing at least 20+ pounds to be refunded your $497 deposit, you have to reach or be below your ideal weight which is determined by your gender and height. (For me being female and 5'7", my ideal weight 165.) Not reaching your ideal weight forfeits your deposit and ONLY makes you eligible to "rollover" into another 6-week challenge (with each challenge having the same success marker of losing at least 20 lbs). Some people completed 5+ challenges in order to reach their ideal weight. Common sense tells you that the closer you are to reaching your ideal weight, the rate of your weight loss per week slows making it that much more difficult to successfully lose 20 lbs in a 6-week period. Hence, you likely will lose a challenge and forfeit your deposit. The only alternative to this would be to apply your otherwise forfeited deposit into a gym membership at the "discounted" rate of $127 per month. (The non-discounted rate is $10 more per month which is hardly a discount, nor does it account for the amount of money applied by the forfeited deposit of nearly $500.) I think most people can read between the lines and see how the advertisement of "free" is clearly misleading. It's no wonder The Camp is such a lucrative business and how they can seemingly "give away" such a valuable service for "free". It's because it is NOT FREE!

What else makes it not "free"? From the time of sign up and every work out you attend thereafter, you will be bombarded with advertisements for protein shakes and supplements by ISO FX. There are announcements at the end of each workout where they also push a supplement of the week. I've even heard staff members claim that the reason some have been more successful than others in losing weight is because they have taken the supplements. It's clear that The Camp gets some sorta kickback from the company from pushing it's products.

What makes the program unethical? The false advertisement that the program is "free" and only requires you lose 20 lbs to be successful. The other piece that I believe makes it unethical is the false claim that they have a 97% success rate. I followed the program to the tee and did not succeed. I was not alone and know this is an inaccurate statistic. The other unethical issue is that the trainers consistently encourage gym members to use heavy weights during circuit training. This builds muscle that will reflect heavy on the scale. Any skilled trainer knows that encouraging high reps with low weight, coupled with cardio, would be better suited for successfully passing the challenge. (I only found two trainers at my gym that followed this training style.) It's hard to believe that this approach to training is not encouraged by the owners who have a vested financial interest in people not successfully completing the challenge.

What makes The Camp unprofessional? I was unfortunate enough to have experienced being kicked out of The Camp's support group on Facebook which connects you with other challengers and offers a wide range of support from recipes, to forums, to anecdotal memes, and success stories and pictures. I was not alone in being kicked out. Apparently Sam, part owner of The Camp, has a reputation (as confirmed by several staff members) of being rude, quick and sharp with his tongue, and impulsive in his reactions towards others. He did not like a comment I made on a thread and kicked me out of the group 2 weeks before the end of my challenge. My comment was in response to him making a comment in all caps, starting with the statement "LOOK PEOPLE", where he goes on to belittle and humiliate someone who in his view asked a *** question about what was allowed to eat. In my response, I mimicked another member (who was also kicked out of the group) stating that this forum should be a place to feel safe to ask dumb questions and to seek support. He shot back a response to the effect that if I didn't like it, I could get out. I didn't even have a chance because he kicked me and the other member out of the group. When I brought this issue to the attention to the director of my camp, I was told that this is how he is and that it was unlikely they would be able to get me back in the group because Sam was the sole administrator. I was told that Sam is fully aware of his rudeness towards customers to the point that he advises the managers and directors not speak to customers the way he does because of the negative impact it has on business. Needless to say, this left a very sour taste in my mouth and upset me that I had even given his company my money.

I just completed my 6-week challenge a week ago and lost a total of 17.4 lbs. I worked out 36 times in 42 days, faithfully followed the meal plan (including the carb-cycling and "Talapigus" plan structured to speed up weight loss toward the end of the challenge) and I still failed to lose 20 lbs. Sure, most of the other challengers in my challenge cycle met their goal, however, most that did had much more weight to lose than I did. I initially weighed in at 187 and needed to weigh 167 or less to met the challenge. At the end of 6 weeks, I weighed in at 170. All and all I am happy that I lost weight, that I am more fit to continue towards my fitness goals, and that I made a lot of great connections with people that I plan to keep in contact with. But, for me, I cannot continue to support a business that I have experienced to be unethical, misleading, and unprofessional. My money will be better spent elsewhere.

Reviewer is in unhappy mood. This person is quite happy with staff and stated that there is a room for improvement of super unprofessional and unorganized. Please immediately contact the author of this review to discuss "unethical practices" of the camp transformation center weight loss program and associated monetary loss in the amount of $497. The Camp Transformation Center needs to offer any options to resolve the issue according to poster's claims.

Other people also mentioned the camp transformation center weight loss program in their reviews. You may find this information helpful for further shopping at The Camp Transformation Center.

Comments

You sound like a big whiner.

Wow! Thanx for the heads up!

Thank you! That was everything i need to know.

I appreciate your transparency.

I won't be participating in it now! Thanks again.

Glad i looked your review.

The point here Is the Money!! even if you reach your goal, you never gonna see your money back ,,,NEVEEEEEER!!!

This is not free is expensive!!! That was my experience!

#1520985

So glad I read this . I hate *** and sam has pretty much shown that he is one.

What a scam also. There should be no stipulations. Lose 20 and it’s free.

Not plus plus plus. Thanks def not joining!!!

#1519422

So happy to have read this before joining tomorrow. I can’t afford to play games with my money.

I work hard. I’m better off continuing to go to the gym on my own 4 days a week and eating healthy.Thanks for the honest review

Please email how you did it as well santosamunoz@live.com

Thank You for a great review. At 145lbs, I'd like to lose 10-15lbs.

I guess they don't want my type of business. I think it should be based only on ideal weight, and not also "20" lbs. If they are doing this, thinking someone of my weight's before/after would not be dramatic enough, what are they thinking? Someone weighing 200lbs, dropping to 20lbs to 180lbs, may be less dramatic than my weighing 145lbs, dropping 15lbs to 130lbs.

Additionally, having a clients money(which they will probably keep), but denying services for free speech, sounds like lawsuit to me, even moreso, it they are forcing clients to give up their constitutional rights.

Business sounds quite slimey to me. Definitely will pass, and will inform others

So glad I came across your review

Thank you for all of your information. You just saved me a ton of money.

I had an appointment this morning. I don't mind paying,however 500$ and no guarantee of the "deposit " coming back?

No thanks. So thank you again..

I agree with the unprofessional part. I only went to the orientation but I already sensed that their practice and employee are unprofessional.

Her name was Lesley who was given us the initial talk but it was unorganized and during the class that was in session. It was too loud so I couldn't hear her very well. I asked a question but I felt like I was being short and she repeated several times Wednesday is a very long day for her. I didn't feel comfortable at all.

I also agree that it is not free and you sure won't get your money back even if you pass the 20 lbs challenge in 6 weeks. Your money will be converted to membership fee one way or the other. I pay $30 monthly fee to my gym with shower, gym classes and everything, so their monthly fee of around $120 is 4 times more expensive with not much else. My friend has some success so far and I'm very happy for her but I'm afraid to get sucked in, especially with the supplement.

Plus I only need to lose 10-15 lbs and I can do it at my gym and get nutritional help from online and else where. Thank you for your post to reconfirm my feeling about not joining.

Thank you very much. I'm so glad I researched before I joined.

Your review is extraordinarily helpful. I commend you on your hard work and your courage.

Please send it to me too mcas3nce4moso@gmail.com

I don't care if it turned out to be free. I refuse to do business with owners that behave the way you have described Sam. I appreciate and will reward great customer service anytime and pay my fair share for a pleasant experience

I was about to sign up before I came across the most honest review I have ever read.

Thank you for taking the time to write your article. It answered the ‘devil’s in the details’ question in my mind.

I went to the orientation yesterday and the person explained everything to me, i'm going to give it a try and see how it goes, i am at the point where i have tried everything on my own and nothing works, because of lack of time and everyday life with kids and other responsibilities. That being said i am going in with the idea that even if i don't get my $497 dollars back if i am successful in my journey of weight loss it won't matter to me, to me this is a way to learn to eat and exercise to better my life forever.

to katia082789 #1465504

How did you challenge go? Were you successful and did you get your money back? I just begin this week and now I'm scared after reading this

to katia082789 #1466726